Connect with us

The Sword of Love

Sheeko-Sheeko

The Sword of Love

My name is Lula.

I know you will dismiss my story, because of fear of the unknown –

for fearing what you don’t understand.

This is my story.

CHAPTER 1 | THE BEGINNING

Two years ago, I met the man of my dreams at a local café across the campus of my university. I remember noticing him through the quiet breeze in the small scoped café. It was early morning, and I think we were the only two souls sitting across from each other.

He took gentle stares at me, as he nervously flipped the pages of the book he was reading. Minutes later, he walked in my direction and stood tall above my table with a shy smile. He blurred his name shyly into my direction:

“Hi, I’m Nasiib.”

In school I fancied books and sugarless coffee, while my friends sought love in the dark hours of the night. Dorm rooms were filled with weeping souls, begging to be consumed by love. To me, love was a great pitch to sell books and movie tickets.

Before Nasiib, I hated love.

See, my father left my mother while she was pregnant with me. He married a younger woman, whom he met while on a trip to Somalia. My mother found out that he made the wedding expenditures with their life savings. She came to know this when her card declined at the supermarket while she was shopping for milk and bread.

The next day she cued up for food-stamps, then moved to live in a building filled with gangsters and drug dealers. I grew up playing with kids who smelled of piss and weed.

For a long time, I blamed love.

I thought it was love that shattered the soul of my mother, as she lied awake in the middle of the night, feeling lonely and unwanted. It was love that dismantled the spirit of a civil-war survivor as she crippled out of bed in the morning to pack us lunch.

I hated my father. Some days, I also hated my mother for loving him.

He refused to divorce her. He claimed there wasn’t any legitimate reason for a divorce, since Muslim men are permitted to marry four. So, he comes back twice a year to drain the little money she saves.

I believed love was a curse.

Until love took a different shape; a different form. It started to weigh heavy in my heart.

I fell in love with Nasiib.

Some girls wish to find men who carry the same characteristic traits as their father; I wished for the opposite.

Nasiib was raised by his aunt. His mother died after giving birth to him. The doctors informed her of the risks of being pregnant, but she chose him over her life. She died holding him, trying to put him to sleep. She was cold and alone. The nurses had to call her closest kin to come pick up Nasiib.

His father didn’t even bother to attend the funeral. He was a seasonal fisherman whose time was absorbed by money-grubbing women and khat. We had that in common. We both had two selfish pricks as a father.

Nasiib and I decided to get engaged. We both agreed that it was time for us to embark on the next journey together.

What happened next was unpredictable.

READ THE FULL STORY HERE

Join the conversation on Twitter. Follow Author @YuniqSoul

Facebook Comments
17 Comments

17 Comments

1. Halima

March 1, 2018 at 11:48 pm

Mashallah. When I finished this story I was beyond speechless. You manage to do something a lot of writers can’t, write a short but convincing, compelling, thrilling, heart wrenching story. Not only did you keep it authentically Somali but the fact that jinns were introduced added another scary but amazing layer. Wallahi mashallah a million times to the author. How did you manage to write a short story that felt like an entire novel? You made me fall in love with nasiib, then broke my heart! You made me year for the main characters happiness and then left me speechless towards the end. Brilliant. Beyond brilliant! This could be turned into a movie!! I’m really at a lost for words at how beautifully you wrote the story and interesting the plot itself is! I thought I was going to get a simple love story, boy was I wrong!

2. Ayma

March 2, 2018 at 12:25 pm

WOW Im astonished at the level of writing you are capable of. This a ny times best seller. MashaAllah. Amazing talent in our community. The way you set the story up had me so hooked. I was feeling every emotion. I was shocked and brought back to the real world the same way the protagonist was after waking up. I have so many theories and questions. First of all this seems so real, is that your talent or is it actually real? Lmao. Amazing keep up the work. Whether you let us read it or publish it somewhere i look forward to your voice and stories.

3. Hana

March 2, 2018 at 12:28 pm

MashaAllah my sister u have a talent! Allahuma baarik! That was the most gripping short story i’ve read in a long time! Well done👏👏👏. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the cliff hanger at the end. So what does that mean? Was he part of the jinn? Was he possessed by them? Did he die too and the jinn took his form? I would like to know 😥 Thank you 😁

4. Asha

March 2, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Amazing! I’m at lost for words! MashaAllah amazing writing!!!
    When will you finish the story.
    I need to know what happens.

5. Abdirahman

March 3, 2018 at 8:05 am

Brilliant.

6. Yousef

March 3, 2018 at 9:45 am

I am at a loss for words. I really don’t know what to say but Masha’Allah. I know this is an unusual website for guy but a friend who happens to be a girl told me to check this story out. I was skeptical at first but 3 paragraphs in and I was hooked like a crack addict. I was even biting my nails by the time the story switched over to Somalia. That was by far the GREATEST short story I have ever read. I have so many questions but the biggest one would have to be the the very last sentence. “He is the owner of the house”???? Please bless us with the meaning of that!!!!!

• Mosaab

March 8, 2018 at 9:05 am

I was referred to this in the exact same way, and this is the best most compelling gripping and heart wrenching short story I have ever read. I honestly do not believe that this is the last time I will read this story this week alone, and I am referring all of my friends to this story.

7. Abdul

March 3, 2018 at 6:16 pm

As I was web surfing,I stumbled upon this link that was posted on another platform.
    This was a captivating short story,the best I’ve ever read! Was truly amazed, not just by your choice and arrangement of words, but also by its series of events were just unprecedented.
    This organized piece of writing was clear, it presented in a way that is logical and aesthetically pleasing,your unique way of stringing words together, formulating ideas, and relating scenes or images to the reader,was just fireee 🔥🔥🔥 😥😥 Im glad that your piece wasn’t an old sheeko that was remixed,this was new and quite refreshing,so I rate your originality,
    How readers react to your work will fully determine your success as a writer.This easily could’ve turned into a short movie,all of your stories could’ve of been a short movie,you should definitely collab with film producers,etc you solely being the screen writer/content creator,turn your short stories into short movies,create a youtube channel and post your content there,and make 💰💰.
    Truthfully,someone of your caliber with such talent shall not be confined to this site only,you should definitely broaden your horizons and take your talents to youtube,or such platforms and put your art out there on social media,certainly,these ideas shall take your fiction to new heights.

8. Clarissa

March 4, 2018 at 10:31 am

Mashallah 💕

9. Clarissa

March 4, 2018 at 10:32 am

MashaAllah

10. Ayan

March 4, 2018 at 5:15 pm

WOW! I seriously can’t remember the last time a story had me in it’s grip like this! This is amazing work mashallah. I really hope there’s a sequel 🙌🏻

11. Maya

March 5, 2018 at 8:16 am

I’m speechless,emotional

😥😥
    Proud of you girl you can get over such pain
    Your an inspiration mrs Nasiib

Stand with your lover 💋❤️

12. Khadra

March 6, 2018 at 2:13 am

Please tell me there’s a PART TWO!!!!

13. yourgirl007

March 6, 2018 at 11:33 am

i am truly astonished this short novel is electric, intense and gripping. mashallah im quite lost for words. what can i say you are gifted, allahumma barik sister. But the ending, thats one hell of a cliff hanger, left a lot of us curious , may i ask? was the father possessed by jinns? and why did they choose her to do their dirty work? and when is part 2 coming out!!!!!

14. Chico

March 7, 2018 at 9:28 am

At first I thought it was just a love story but this really made me give in
    Please tell me where you are you complete for me the story
    Or release the next part soon
    MashaAllah siz you got something beyond compliments
    You have My salute

15. Nejima jama

March 19, 2018 at 6:29 pm

We need part to please, curiously wondering if nasiibs dad was jinn also? How could jinn wanted to kill him in one point but then again his son isnt human at all ?????? I loved love your story but I need more explanation.

16. Zahraa

March 19, 2018 at 9:11 pm

Brilliant..waiting for more. .pure talent MashaAllah.